Current:Home > MarketsPost-Tucker Carlson, Fox News hopes Jesse Watters will bring back viewers -Blueprint Money Mastery
Post-Tucker Carlson, Fox News hopes Jesse Watters will bring back viewers
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:09:30
Fox News is revamping its prime-time lineup amid a recent ratings decline triggered by the ouster of Tucker Carlson in April.
The new schedule puts Jesse Watters Primetime in Carlson's old 8 p.m. slot, with Watters also to remain a co-host on The Five. Laura Ingraham's The Ingraham Angle will shift from 10 p.m. to 7 p.m., while Sean Hannity's Hannity will remain at 9 p.m. Gutfeld!, hosted by conservative comedian Greg Gutfeld, will move to 10 p.m.
In addition, the 11 p.m. hour will now be the home to Fox News @ Night, anchored by Trace Gallagher.
"Fox News Channel has been America's destination for news and analysis for more than 21 years and we are thrilled to debut a new lineup," Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott said in a statement. "The unique perspectives of Laura Ingraham, Jesse Watters, Sean Hannity, and Greg Gutfeld will ensure our viewers have access to unrivaled coverage from our best-in-class team for years to come."
The new lineup takes effect July 17.
The Rupert Murdoch-owned news network yanked Carlson off the air after settling a massive defamation lawsuit with Dominion Voting Systems for $787.5 million over the network's airing of bogus claims of election fraud in the 2020 presidential election. Fox News and Carlson have also been sued for a hostile work environment by a former senior producer who alleged his show was rife with bigotry and sexism.
The conservative provocateur became a star at the network by spewing xenophobic and often hateful rhetoric that appeals to the far right. More recently he amassed an even greater following by claiming that the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol was harmless and also simultaneously arranged by antifa and the FBI.
Watters, who first joined the news network in 2002 as a production assistant, is also no stranger to controversy. He was one of several right-wing media personalities who have promoted the false narrative that drag is a left-wing plot to sexualize children. Following the mass shooting at Colorado's Club Q last year, Watters falsely said drag shows were designed to "change the mainstream opinion of fringe sexual activity, including, but not limited to, sex with children."
He also received blowback after urging young conservatives to "ambush" the nation's former top infectious disease expert, Anthony Fauci, and "go in for the kill shot."
Despite his dismissal from Fox News, Carlson is still under contract with the network, which says he is not allowed to launch a competing show until his contract ends in early 2025.
But that hasn't stopped him from starting a new one anyway. Earlier this month, he premiered Tucker on Twitter, short 10 to 15 minute long videos that are more monologue than talk show.
Fox News has sent Carlson a cease and desist letter saying he is in violation of his deal.
veryGood! (92988)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- A judge rules against a Republican challenge of a congressional redistricting map in New Mexico
- Many Americans don't believe in organized religion. But they believe in a higher power, poll finds
- A modest Buddhist ceremony marks the anniversary of a day care center massacre in Thailand
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- The 2024 Girl Scout cookie season will march on without popular Raspberry Rally cookies
- Sarah Jessica Parker Proves She's Carrie Bradshaw IRL With Mismatched Shoes and Ribboncore Look
- Giraffe poop seized at Minnesota airport from woman planning to make necklace out of it
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Milton from 'Love is Blind' says Uche's claims about Lydia 'had no weight on my relationship'
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- FTX founder slept on beanbag at $35M Bahamas apartment: Witness
- Republicans consider killing motion-to-vacate rule that Gaetz used to oust McCarthy
- Winners and losers of 'Thursday Night Football': Bears snap 14-game losing streak
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- AI was asked to create images of Black African docs treating white kids. How'd it go?
- Ukraine says more than 50 people killed as Russia bombs a grocery store and café
- FTX founder slept on beanbag at $35M Bahamas apartment: Witness
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
'Dylan broke my heart:' Joan Baez on how she finally shed 'resentment' of 1965 breakup
Georgia Power will pay $413 million to settle lawsuit over nuclear reactor cost overruns
Becky G says this 'Esquinas' song makes her 'bawl my eyes out' every time she sings it
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
William Friedkin's stodgy 'Caine Mutiny' adaptation lacks the urgency of the original
Donald Trump’s lawyers seek to halt civil fraud trial and block ruling disrupting real estate empire
3 bears are captured after sneaking into a tatami factory as northern Japan faces a growing problem